Thursday, April 9, 2009

About Us

Click here to return to Tea Pages (TM) blog. (You can also contact us at teapages (at) gmail.com)

WHAT IS TEA PAGES?
Tea Pages (TM) blog was launched in September 2007. Tea Pages (TM) is dedicated to making tea interesting and accessible to all. We offer reviews of tea, industry news, product announcements, and interviews with important people in the world of tea. Tea is our passion and we hope to make it yours as well.


WHO CREATED TEA PAGES?
My name is Katrina and I'm a bit of a tea fanatic. I cultivated my tea obsession by reading about it, drinking absurd amounts of it, and pouring over websites and tea catalogs.

Tea was not big in my family. My grandmother used to drink tea often and had a beautiful collection of tea cups. However, the tea was always Lipton tea bags and she would dry the bags and use them over and over and over. (She was a bit thrifty.) My dad assures me that when he was a kid she used loose tea, but I never benefited from that period of her life!

My husband encouraged me to create this site...I think he was a bit weary of living with the "Cliff Claven" of tea. ("Cheers" reference in case you missed it.)

I grew up in central Maine, a great place to grow up. I moved to Massachusetts to study Biology at Tufts University and then I got my Masters in Public Health at Boston University. I worked in non-profit administration and development in organizations ranging from a residential treatment center for girls to social support programs to a contemporary art museum!

My husband and I have been married since 1999. These days I'm home raising our two awesome kids. I blog and dabble in freelance writing jobs.

Tea is not my only interest. Actually, my bigger problem is that I'm interested in a little bit of everything. I mentioned to someone that my profile definitely does not belie my age as my favorites at the moment are tea, knitting, and Agatha Christie mysteries...Not exactly typical for someone in their 30's. Seriously though, I am an avid knitter and crafter. I devour books of all kinds and have pretty eclectic tastes in music (although no one will ever top Paul Simon, in my opinion). And one of my best friends is NPR.

WHAT I PROMISE
  • Tea Pages will always be a site dedicated to providing fun, educational, and (hopefully) interesting information about the world of tea.
  • I will do my best to provide unbiased opinions. Readers should always remember that these are simply my opinions. They are no more or less valid than your own opinions.
  • I am also a freelance writer so I will occasionally do work for tea companies. I will not review any tea from those companies during my period of employment. For companies with whom I have "click through"/affiliate agreements on my website, I promise to continue to give unbiased opinions that you can trust are solely mine.
  • I promise to disclose when I receive a tea, book, or product as a free sample.
  • I commit to donating a percentage of proceeds from "click-throughs"/affiliate/donations to charity each year.
  • I promise to respond promptly to any concerns you may have about my reviews, the blog, or any perceived bias.
  • I promise to do this as long as I love what I do.

6 comments:

  1. I just wrote a long comment and then lost it, cause I clicked on Wordpress instead of Google.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK now that I know it worked, I'll try again.
    I see you love mysteries as well as tea. So do I. Do you like Laura Child's tea mysteries? I haven't read her newest one, but it is on my list.
    I write mystery tea party plans and have just started a blog at my website www.mysteryteapartyplans. I hope someday it will be as full of interesting topics as yours as. I have alot to learn about blogging. How long have you been doing yours?
    I'm not a tea expert as you are, I'm more into the hosting of tea parties, tea etiquette, hospitality, etc. Some ladies get overwhelmed with the aspect of a tea party, thinking it has to be very formal, but I think they should be fun as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for my delayed response. For some reason, I didn't get a notice of your comment. My apologies!

    I do like Laura Child's books very much. I've been able to review a few of her books and had the opportunity to interview her recently. (You can find it on the blog.)

    I love the concept of your company. I'll have to check it out!

    I've been doing my blog for about 19 months (and started my website a few months before that.) I appreciate your kind words. I'm definitely not a tea expert, but I love learning more each day.

    Good luck with your website and blog. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi katrina, my name is lorene i have a question about the copco mugs. love the design but is it safe to drink from. i have a plastic free home. (not easy to do) but working out find. give some info on this tea mug. thanks. seems too good to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lorene - I reviewed the product on my main blog here: http://teapages.blogspot.com/2010/02/product-review-ecofirst-copco-to-go-mug.html

    Kudos to you on your quest for a plastic-free home. This cup IS made of plastic. The only assurance I can give on safety is that I was told this product is BPA-free. For you, I'd recommend looking into the wonderful glass tea thermoses that are out there. Gongfu Girl had a beautiful one here: http://www.gongfugirl.com/2007/02/chinese-tea-thermos/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    I have just stumbled on this website. I am researching teas for a book project. I am not sure if I will ever complete it since I am so behind on things. Folks are so much smarter and I am just another English major with no future; with lots of loans piling.

    I do not have children, I am married, over decades, with many forks/purveyors on the road to nowhere.

    I recently found Laura Childs and read her Blood Red Orange Oolong tea mystery. It was a good read. I may read some of her others. I like Agatha as well; grew up reading or watching on PBS.

    Folks are so much more smarter and connected. I have always gone at things solo and this makes it very difficult.

    I like Green teas, (teabags) as opposed to loose leaf teas. I also like Numi Pu-erh teas.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete